Chart patterns are specific price-action patterns in stock prices that have repeated themselves for decades, giving prudent traders many profitable trading opportunities. However, there are many chart patterns that are unreliable and not profitable. In this article we will cover the 3 highest win rate patterns that almost guarantee long-term profitability and gains.
Pattern #1: Head & Shoulders
The Head & Shoulders is one of the most reliable chart patterns, having accuracy of almost 90% and generating profits for decades. The head & shoulders is a reversal pattern, that indicates a shift in trend and beginning of a reversal.
We will usually trade this pattern when the neckline is broken, and will join the trade right at the breakout. However, for even more accurate entry it is recommended to wait for price to pull back to the neckline, and begin the new trend. The pullback entry is even more accurate than the breakout one, reaching around 95% accuracy. This is a chart pattern you must trade and master.
Pattern #2: Double Top
The Double Top is another pattern which you must trade, as it provides very good win rate (around 76% winning trades) and very consistent profits in many stocks and Forex pairs.
The Double Top is created when price tries to break a resistance level twice and is unable to, creating a shape resembling the letter ‘M’. Eventually price breaks the neckline downwards, which is the sell signal for chart traders. We will also enter a short trade if price pulls back to the broken neckline from below.
Pattern #3: The Channel
The Channel is one of the most accurate chart patterns that appears in almost any Stock or index, and are the foundation of trends. The Channel consists of two parallel trend lines in a certain direction – it can be either ascending or descending.
The Channel symbolizes a healthy trend in which price moves forward in a certain rythem. We can trade the channel chart pattern in several methods: The first one is to take trades on the trend lines themselves (make sure to enter only with the direction of the trend and not against it).
Another trading method that is particularly powerful with channels is to enter after it is broken: entering short when an ascending channel is broken and entering long when a descending channel is broken. For extra accuracy we recommend not to enter the breakout itself but wait for the pullback.
Chart patterns are a very reliable and consistent way of trading, and if you focus just on the 3 patterns mentioned above, you will generate stable profits from any market you trade. Choose one pattern at a time, learn to identify it on historical charts and then proceed to master it in real trading.
Steve Sollheiser is a trading veteran with experience in trading stock chart patterns and trading Forex. In his site he shares his insight about chart trading and trading psychology.
- US stock markets come to India As Reported in the Economic Times The US stock market is virtually coming to the doors of Indian investors, as they will be able to...
- Tata Power announces stock-split Shares of Tata Power moved higher as the company announced stock-split after reporting earnings for year ended March 2011. It reported standalone net profit...
- 7 Mistakes Made By Stock Traders If you are looking for a way to make your money work for you, rather than just sit in a bank account not earning interest,...
- Do you know how to day trade stocks? When we talk about day trading, we talk about a strategy used by a group of people. This means the act of trading a lot...
- Earn big money with Blue Chip Stocks Firstly we need to remember everyone’s money is hard earned, thus it is very advisable to play it safe and then gradually get more flamboyant....
Category: Stock Market