On Monday. 15th August 2011 Google announced its biggest deal yet. The decision to take over Motorola for a whopping $12.5billion (or $40 per share), in cash. Google had about $39 billion in cash at last count.The deal gives Google its own hardware products and allow it to compete more closely with phone- and tablet-makers such as Apple and HP .
There is no doubt that Android is the most popular mobile OS right now. However Google maintains that it will let other companies continue to use Android platform. However I’d say Google is well equipped now to takeover the phone market.
This is Larry Page’s statement about the deal:
The acquisition of Motorola Mobility, a dedicated Android partner, will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem and will enhance competition in mobile computing. Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.
You can read the entire article here
This is what the google blog had to say
Since its launch in November 2007, Android has not only dramatically increased consumer choice but also improved the entire mobile experience for users. Today, more than 150 million Android devices have been activated worldwide—with over 550,000 devices now lit up every day—through a network of about 39 manufacturers and 231 carriers in 123 countries. Given Android’s phenomenal success, we are always looking for new ways to supercharge the Android ecosystem. That is why I am so excited today to announce that we have agreed toacquire Motorola.
Here are some of the big deals that Google has went through:
Motorola Mobility, $12.5 billion, August 2011 (announced)
DoubleClick, $3.1 billion, March 2008
YouTube, $1.56 billion, November 2006
dMarc Broadcasting, $1.23 billion, Feb. 2006
AOL (investment), $1 billion, August 2006
ITA Software, $700 million, April 2011
- Google : What do you love ? Are you one of those who only know one aspect of Google’s service – Search? Well then Google has brought up something to give you...
- Google swallows new companies for Google+! Google has started swallowing new start-ups and from the looks of it, Google might plan to incorporate its new acquisitions in Google+ The new acquisitions...
- The man behind Google + Google Plus the axe which is seen to be looming over Facebook which may or may not slice through Facebook’s 500 million active users(Facebook Statistics)....
- Google Maps 5.7 released with Transit Navigation and other cool features! Google released Google Maps 5.7 for Android yesterday.The new version of this navigation tool has Transit Navigation.Now you get stop-by-stop navigation for bus and train...
- Google Plus: Cheat Sheet Google+ has taken a sudden rise. Business-Insider estimates that Google Plus has around 10 Million users right now. Thats not all, 2.2 million people have...